park with its monument is dedicated to anti-fascists from Omišalj who died in
World War Two.
memorial site has a much longer history. In the past, beside the path that led
to the harbour, there was a Glagolitic Benedictine monastery and the Church of
St. Nicholas. On the site of the closed monastery, the first cemetery outside
the historic centre of Omišalj was located (from 1817 to 1914). The monastery
is famous for a document issued in 1252 by Pope Innocent IV, which authorised
Fructuosus, the Bishop of Krk, to confirm to his monks the ancient custom of
using Old Church Slavonic and the Glagolitic alphabet in the liturgy.